Soundtrack To My Life


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Tuesday, December 2, 2008

2008 Year in Review:Albums I Recommend.

Well it's safe to say that with only 4 weeks left in 2008 that all the worth while music has been released. As a music fan I wanted to share some of my picks of what I think are good choices. In the next Post I will tell y'all what I was disappointed by.



















Anthony David has been my man for a minute now. A Georgia boy that is known for making good music, and received the stamp of approval from India Arie, Anthony David's Third album does not disappoint.




















Robin Thicke is back with his third studio album, and although it's not as good as "The Evolution of Robin Thicke", it's still far better than alot of the non-sense we have heard this year.



Who Knew?! The guy that makes Bryant Gumble look like Malcom X really has some soul after all. This is a really good surprisingly good album. Check it out.



I Love this man. I must admit when I heard "Customer" I was afraid he was entering R. Kelly territory, but when I got the album I was relieved that RV not only retain what made is 1st album so great, but expanded upon it.



Okay... where did this guy come from and why is he still being slept on? Go buy this, download it, or even bootleg it. I don't care just listen to this album NOW!



Naked Music is currently my favorite independent record label. One of my favorite producers "Blue Six" has put together yet another albums that makes you what to smoke some good purple, dance, and have sex in that order. Check this out, as well as other Naked Music classics.



Incognito is among one of the best funk jazz groups of all-time, and this album expands upon their already cemented legacy. With the welcomed surprised of having Maysa return for guest vocals, and the polished production, this album is simply a must buy.



Speaking of Maysa, my girl return with yet another banga. Although this is not her best, and some long time fans may be turned off by some of the poppy type songs, this is still a solid album. Check it out.



When I heard Madonna was working exclusively with Justin Timberlake, Timbaland, and Pharrell Williams I thought to myself "Oh god, another white pop artist trying to gain urban credibility", but upon actually listening to the album I must admit I like..alot. I have practically worn out "She's not me" to the point where when I go to the gym it my official workout song.



I feel Lloyd is the most underrated young R&B singer working today, period! His last two albums have been leaps and bounds above ANYTHING current R&B kings Chris Brown, Ne-yo, and most definitely Usher have given us this year. This album is fantastic from start to finish. "Year of the Lover" is the kind of song Usher would have done when he was in his prime. Buy this and his last album "Street Love" NOW!



Lalah does what she does best on this album. Simply mesmerizes you with her voice, and makes you feel her emotion with every song. Another highly underrated artist in our current sad state of music. Get it now.



The husband/wife duo are back with another one. I was disappointed with their last effort, but this one has made me a fan again. This time around their is a certain uncomfortable energy on the songs as if you are seeing a marriage breakdown, but this is what makes the album great. It reflects what is real in relationships. The good and the bad. Check it out.



What a voice. Such raw emotion with every song, and such sincerity. It makes me smile to see that not every young R&B female singer is trying to follow Beyonce and Ciara down the club, poppy yellow brick road. "Lions, Tigers, and Bears" is a song you must listen to.



Shine is the kind of album you would be proud to have on your Ipod. It is the kind of album I have been hoping Lauren Hill would make, but Estelle sounds a thousand times better doing so. Featuring a perfect blend of hip-hop, r&b, and reggae, Estelle's album is Top 10 best of 2008, period.



The Verve series has long been one of my favorite series of albums. The re-imaging of some of the most classic songs of all-time by such artist as Etta James, Billie Holiday, and Nina Simone by today's best producers is simply genius. V4 up the ante by adding a more hip-hop flavor this time around, and it works big time. Check out ALL the Verve Remixed albums NOW!



I have never been a fan of E.B., but I must give credit where credit is due. This album is hot. The title is pretentious to me (Mary J. Blige already used it) so I wasn't even going to give this album the time of day. Then I got my hand on a advance copy and said okay... he's good. Check it out.



Hip-Hop... The music I once loved with all my heart has been a constant disappointment for me for the latter part of a decade now. I get sick when I turn on the radio here "Shawty pop that thing" or "I got ice on my wrist" or that Got damn T.Pain autotune voice thing. ENOUGH! Lucky for me underground hip-hop has it's fair share of fantastic artists that although will never get mainstream recognition still enjoy critical praise. Elzhi is one such artist. As one half of the legendary group Slum Village, he finally breaks aways for a minute to give us a classic solo album. J. Dilla would be proud.



I heard alot of folks were turned off by Dwele second album "Some Kinda". I for one didn't think it was a bad album, but Dwele has heard the call because his 3rd album is simply awesome. He addresses alot of the criticism about his last album on this album, and about his boost in the public eye after appearing on the mega hit Kanye West song "Flashing Lights". Dwele really opens up, and we get to know him as a man, as well as an artist better with this album. Check it out.



THE BEST ALBUM OF 2008! PERIOD!!! Oh my god, I can go on and on and on and... (get the reference to vibrant thing there?..) Q-Tip came out of no where with this one for real. I mean this album was like an assault in the middle of the night, it simply was not expected. He hasn't released an album in almost 10 years, so I thought he had hung up the mic. All 12 tracks are classics. "Move" produced by J. Dilla before his untimely death due to lupus brought a tear to my eye. No, not because it's an emotionally moving song, far far from it. It is simply a sign that real Hip-Hop lives. No flashy production, No A- List features, No autotune voice thingy. Simply banging ass beats, and LYRICS! Hip-Hop in its purest form. I am seriously in love with this album. So much so I BOUGHT IT... I am a self confessed pirate and I felt I had to buy this album. It's that good.

6 comments:

  1. What!! I can't believe that 'Jill Scott: Live In Paris' is not on your recommended list!

    ~LF

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's because that album came out in 2007 sweetie :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I must say that you have an excellent ear. I agree with you on a majority of your choices. What did you think of the latest releases by Common, Kanyae West, Eric Darius, and Seal?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seal I was suprised by
    Kanye West: I respect his direction, but I wasn't feeling it

    Common: God to see him break away from the soul sound he was be type cast into

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent choices - I have Noel's CD and it didn't move me, just the lead single. I'll give it another spin and see if anything catches my attention.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent musical choices and I bought the QTip CD last week -

    ReplyDelete